A blog itself isn’t really a business — it’s more of a platform for other income streams. Your content alone won’t likely make you money. Instead, you’ll have to get advertisers, sell services, use affiliate marketing to get a percentage of sales from links people click on your blog, or maybe offer products to actually generate income.
How much do bloggers make?
It varies widely. A few bloggers make millions of dollars a year. Others, make a healthy full-time income, and then there would be those who make a little bit of extra cash each month, on top of their regular job. It all depends on the blogger and how much effort they’ve put into their blog, marketing and branding.
How long does it take to make money blogging?
It takes a lot of hours per week to build and maintain a quality blog. Usually, it takes months of blogging before seeing income from it.
If you’re extra dedicated and put a tonne of effort in, you might see money within the first 3 months! Realistically though, you will need to be blogging for at least 6 months before you see any decent money coming in. If you really focus on your blog and you really want to make it work, you can potentially be making a full time income within 1 to 2 years.
Disclosure: This page contains affiliate links, meaning I earn a commission if you use those links. I will always only recommend brands I trust and ones I think you’ll love too.
What are the ways bloggers make money ?
There are three money-making categories every full-time blogger works under :
➛ Affiliate Marketing
➛ Services/ Products
This is where many bloggers start.
This model of making money from blogs is similar to how a magazine or newspaper sells ads. As your traffic and brand grows you’ll find advertisers will be willing to pay to get exposure to your audience.
While you need traffic to do a direct deal with an advertisers there are ad networks that act as a middleman and enable smaller publishers to run ads on their blogs.
☛ DISPLAY ADS
Ads you see showing up in different areas of a blog, within post and pages, side bar or at the top or bottom of the blog.
The most popular network for placing these types of ads is Google AdSense. With this program, you do not need to be in direct contact with advertisers; you simply place the banner on your site, Google chooses ads relevant to your content, and your viewers click on the ads.
There are similar programs available if you find that AdSense doesn’t work for you, such as :
☛ SELL AD SPACE
Working with advertising networks isn’t your only option when it comes to selling ads. If you end up with enough traffic, advertisers may come directly to you and ask you to place their ad on your site. You can also contact advertisers yourself. The biggest difference from the above mentioned option is that there is no middle man, which means you can set your own ad rates.
☛ SPONSORED BLOG POSTS
You can even make money writing sponsored posts where you write about or give a review of an advertiser’s product or service. In this way a business can reach their target customer through your blog.
You can connecting with brands via sites like:
☛ SPONSORED SOCIAL MEDIA POSTS
When you’ve built a significant, engaged following on social media, brands will be interested in paying you to share their products with your followers. The most popular form of social media for brands to promote their products is through Instagram posts with #collab or #ad hashtag in the capture.
You can also be paid to promote products through tweets, Facebook posts, Instagram stories, Snapchat stories and YouTube videos. Some great websites for paid social media posts include:
To maximize your income, you can also choose to sell sponsorship space in your email newsletters , podcasts, and videos.
Affiliate income is when you link to a product that is for sale on another site and if someone follows your link and ends up buying that product you earn a commission on that sale.
HOW AFFILIATE MARKETING WORKS ?
1. An advertiser has a product that wants to sell and agrees to give you a commission from each sale if the buyer is coming from your site.
2. You will receive a unique link that tracks your affiliate code. That way, the advertiser knows when a buyer used your link to make a purchase.
3. You include your affiliate link on your site, directly in the content or through banner ads. If a reader clicks on your unique link and buys the product you have recommended, you earn a percentage of the purchase.
THE MOST USED AFFILIATED PLATFORMS BY BLOGGERS
There are thousands of affiliate programs to join and choosing which ones to join all depends on what types of products you want to promote and what your readers are going to be interested in. The most popular are :
- ● Share a Sale – Offers pay-per-sale, pay-per-lead, and pay-per-click programs, with a minimum payout of $50.
- ● Awin – is a global affiliate network that brings together the Affiliate Window and Zanox networks.
- ● Cj Affiliate – is one of the largest affiliate networks around. If you can think of a company, there’s a good chance you’ll find their affiliate program on CJ Affiliate.
- ● Rakuten – (formally known as LinkShare) has been voted as the number 1 affiliate marketing network.
And every of this platform has tons of programs you can choose to join.
There are also programs available at individual websites, so always check the links in the footer of your favourite websites to see if they have an Affiliate Program link.
3.SELL SERVICES / PRODUCTS
☛ DIGITAL PRODUCTS
Many bloggers create and sell their own digital products, PDF file or a .zip folder that customers can purchase and download instantly. Digital products are great because once you have created and launched to sell a product, besides marketing the product, the work is done! No inventory and shipping stress.
You can sell products like :
- ● eBooks
- ● Printables
- ● Apps, plugins or themes
- ● Graphic Designs
- ● Stationery & Invitations
- ● Stock Photography
- ● Ecourses
- ● Online classes or workshops
- ● Premium Content
- ● Membership sites
☛ PHISICAL PRODUCTS
Other bloggers sell physical products like:
- ● Books
- ● Artwork
- ● T-shirts
- ● Mugs
- ● Prints
- ● Handmade Products
- ● Stationery
Many bloggers have become published authors, recognized artists, due to their blogs. While some people sell their products, others create products using amazon to buy simple t-shirts, mugs and so on and send them to printing websites to customize them.
Offering a service is an excellent way to make money quickly because you get paid for a skill you already have. Think about the area in which you have experience, what people admire about you and how you can help others. Services can be offered locally or virtually. Some examples of services are:
- ● Web Design / Branding
- ● Virtual assistance
- ● Social Media Manager
- ● Speaking
- ● Organizing, decorating
- ● Styling
The disadvantage is that time is limited, you can only earn as much as your time allows.
Tips to make money blogging :
- 1. Diversifying your income in this way not only is smart and helps you spread the risk from having all your eggs in one basket but it also speeds up the journey to going full time.
- 2. Excellent content is the key to long-term success. There’s no way around it.
- 3. Successful bloggers don’t start a blog just to make money. Instead, they blog about a topic they truly enjoy and let the money grow out of that topic organically.
- 4. Each blogger has a different combination of income streams. There is no “right” way , find a combination that works for you.
- 5. Put your personality into your blog.
There are of course other forms of income that bloggers experiment with. Some include events, monthly or annual basis for access to either premium content, a community area, some kind of service, tools or coaching, asking for donations, syndicating content to other sites and lastly selling their blogs.
♥ THIS POST ? SHARE IT WITH YOUR FOLLOWERS →